Monday, July 21, 2008

Marcus Miller - Jaco's Teen Town Slap Bass Style

What am I working on this week? Jacos "Teen Town". This is one of those songs that I have always struggled with. The section right after the opening theme has always given me fits. So I have used it for years as a string skipping exercise for myself as well as students. So I come upon this video [see video below] of Marcus Miller doing it live and he freakin' thumbs the part! He makes it look effortless to boot. So if you give this a try remember to go slow [sick of hearing me say that yet!] and make sure to limit your motion. When most players struggle with this kind of technique they have a tendency to flail their thumb and hand about. Keep it close and tight and you'll get it! Let me know how you do.



Share

No comments:

Videos

Teachers Retirement Party June 2017



The Dr. J.J. Band